Wednesday, January 18, 2012

More about gift giving

My children when they wanted back into my good graces, brought me tiny flowers from the grasses, or twigs, snake eggs... the ususal. Anything to reconnect.  Being in the florist industry for a lot of years, I saw a lot of flowers sent by men who wished to reopen doors with spouses or girlfriends.  Also, so many sent flowers just prior to first dates. We often saw businesses send flowers to new customers, or following successful negotiations.  Grande Openinings were often celebrated by the community, by sending flowers to the new business in congratulations.  All were gifts comunicating a sentiment that was sincerely felt. 
Some nature shows I have seen, have shown various birds or animals bringing gifts, often flowers or sticks to a perspective mate. This appears to be something God designed into living things. God awaits opportunities to give to us. I loved putting aside discipline to share moments with my children who were giving me their tiny gifts. The sooner we could put strong words into the past, the better.  For children, discovery, and sharing that discovery teaches the child the joy of finding something precious found in the natural world.  But the idea of using it, at some point as a gift is inate. Every child does it. I think how it is probably universal. Any child around the world might give flowers to a mother and delight in her response.  No wonder young men have gathered whole bouquets to impress.  What comes to mind is the usufulness for something God-given as a gift. God built a spirit of giving into our nature, but he also built a love of creation into our emotional make up, and then provided the gift. He put everything in place so it could be an easy thing. God not only admonishes us to give, but he provides the gift.  We should look around for the thing that will come from the Lord as much as from us when we give our gifts.  Often it is of no cost. Give a hug.  Hugs and kisses became love gifts of greeting in most cultures, and in the animal world. Sharing what blessed us can be a gift.  I recently found fossils of tiny bird tracks,  in a place where the wind and water are washing great parts of the earth from around a nearby lake.  I plan to give a piece to my grandsons.
Lord, open my eyes to how I may be more giving.  AMEN

No comments: