Monday, February 15, 2016

The Song That Plays in My Mind

I have called my blog A Garden Called Gethsemane, 1. because Jesus prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane and 2. because of the song I am about to post.  There were no roses in the Garden of Gethsemane, I suppose.  In fact, as a garden of Olive trees it must have had some special significance for Jesus that went beyond my understanding.  Sometimes, I think about it.

I know it's significance in being the one source for usable oils that could be consumed and or burned, mirrors attributes of the Holy Spirit. That alone makes the whole garden worth contemplating it's value for Jesus.  I think he wanted his followers to realize that once he was gone, his spirit would never be.  I also believe there is a lot to be said about the fact the Garden still stands today, with it's ancient olive trees, or their replacements.  There remains life, beauty, fruit, history, purpose, and prayer...etc. I could go on-- all which emulate the wonders of the Holy Spirit.  All which give me a sense of peace.  It's longevity should by now at least give us a sense of his promise to never leave us. 

The main thing about the song, however that stands out in my mind, is the word "alone."  Alone, when I think of this garden, and of prayer, never means lonely. It means "me and God!"  WOW, can I say that again----WOW!  Me....and GOD. Alone together.  That never ceases to give me exhilaration, hope, joy, peace. A sense of forever, a sense of perfection and wholeness - not as if I was perfect in my own mind or anyone else's. But because of Christ's work...I am perfectly OK in God's eyes.  His creation, His well loved child. There is no judgment in the garden... Again I could go on.

 Where the Lord meets me, the place is like my own garden, full of a sense of expected future yields. Flowers or veggies or simply as a hiding place for all kinds of life, it never leaves me empty.  I love to have my camera in my gardens, at some point, to capture bits of the moment when evidence of its life and change occur. Because they are fleeting moments, and full of change and seasons.  Like life, they scream to me that these processes are straight out of infinity and in the ever-present NOW at the same time.  The very air screams "you are never alone!" No wonder, my favorite way to meet with God is alone.

So, the phrases of this song play in my mind when I think of prayer and a place to pray.  In my present back yard, I am trying to make places to pause, and hopefully experience those moments with God through the power of his Holy Spirit.  Moments for prayer, to meditate upon him and his creation, to be thankful for all it symbolizes, and for its gifts.  Food and beauty, a reason to live and a sense of purpose. 

"And He walks with me ...and He talks with me..."  Well, let the song speak for itself:

IN THE GARDEN,  by Charles Austin Miles  ~  1912  ~


"AND HE TELLS ME I AM HIS OWN."

Once, 100 years ago, Charles Austin Miles experienced the same blessings from a garden as me. That makes us of one mind, even though he no longer lives.  And there have certainly been thousands of others who have also found themselves ensconced in this precious place with our creator God, and the Spirit that indwells us.  A song like this collects us all into a oneness with God and each other. Something songs are particularly good at doing. Something that also surpasses time and elevates us to a spiritual plane of sorts, and once again dispels any possibility of aloneness meaning being without kindred spirits who know or knew exactly how my heart feels. 

May God be praised, because it is his purpose for providing this encounter. He only desires our Praise as pay. LOL As if we could praise him to within anything near the "pay" he is due.  Loving the garden once more.

Praise God from whom all blessing flow!
Cynthia

No comments: