Wednesday, February 23, 2011

"Simply to Thy Cross I Cling" by Mary Navarro

As genealogists hunting for information in
cemeteries across the Eastern US, my husband
and I find thousands of indications of faith
among our ancestors. But my favorite testimony of all time is written on a base plate stone that supports a very realistic looking angel statue in Key West Florida.  The stones there are bleached whiter than stones in some cemeteries. And some of the graves are above ground, due to the threat of flooding I suppose. But the beauty of this marker is remarkable whether or not you draw close enough to read the stone. One of the angel's hands is formed to hold the stem(s) of flowers, and a dried Gladiola was there at the time. I smiled when I saw it because Glads are one of my favorite flowers. A wreath was held by the left hand, and I am not sure of its significance, but it was the stone that held the most impact for me. I shall never forget this lady because of what was written on her stone:
         Mary Navarro
         1863 - 1907
"Simply To Thy Cross
           I Cling"

Everytime a hurricane threatens the Key West, Florida area I pray that nothing will happen to that statue and it's base plate, or of course to Mary's plot. I felt as if I were standing by the grave of a friend. I never knew Mary, and know nothing of her family or her life.  I only know that at age 43, Mary's simple testimony was that she only was clinging to the Cross of our Savoir. I hope to see her one day in Heaven. It is said that this cemetery at the heart of the township of Key West is one of the most visited cemeteries in the US.  I can only hope that many a visitor has been drawn to that beautiful angel, and read the testimony of Mary Navarro who had the faith to write her testimony for all to see.  Thank you Mary.  I hope to visit your beautiful resting place once more in my life and I hope your angel will still be standing there.  You knew you had angels watching over you, and you knew where to place your faith. 

Lord, I can't think of a more fitting spot to place the message of the cross, and I thank you for Mary who was thinking of how people might be led to think about you when they visited this lovely old cemetery. I pray once more as I often have, that someone will read Mary's note and be led to cling to the cross as she had. Let her testimony direct others to a loving savior, to whom they may cling in life and in death. AMEN

No comments: