Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Two people I am thankful for in my life

This morning on facebook I noticed a familiar face and chatted with her a while. We have only talked once or twice a year sometimes and I had thought I lost contact with her. But she was persistant and got back in touch with me. I was soooo glad. We don't say anything phenominal when we make contact, we just catch up and are glad when everyone's OK, or pray when they are not. She has been through some tough times and so have I.  And we don't whine to each other, we just know that if we share, the other one will pray.  I am thankful for new media like facebook, so I have another avenue to reach her, because she lives far away. It is refreshing to see her face and just chat a bit.  Her daughter is in the military and her husband is away at work, and like me, she gets lonely sometimes. So touching base sort of breaks the loneliness for a few minutes.

I can't help but think of how nice it is to have quick communications with the Lord as well.  God, my heavenly Father, is always ready for me to just have a little chat with him. To break the loneliness.

Loneliness doesn't have to come from being alone.  I have often been lonely in a crowded room. Loneliness comes from not having someone who shares your interests or can appreciate you for your opinions even if they don't agree.  Often, people who don't agree will make you feel stupid for having an opinion.
Opinions are part of the thinking process. My Grandmother used to want to hear our opinions. Even the littlest of us, she would ask what was our opinion about things, like - who would make a good president. The answer didn't matter. She didn't contest our opinion. What she was doing was bringing value to us. She demonstrated that she valued us. She valued who we were and what we thought.
When we were being unruly she brought us to a place where we were thinking about something else. She helped us see that when we were using our minds to form opinions, we had value. God is like that too.  Prayer is a place of discussion with God. His word is a place that helps us see that when we turn our thinking from unproductive naughtiness to useful formation of ideas, he will support us. He empowers us by valuing us through our talks with him.  It is for that reason that I can say exactly how I feel about any situation to God, and he listens and does not exact reprimand for my having that opinion. I can go to him and never worry about what I say to Him.  God doesn't punish me, even if I lash out at him in frustration.  So I never feel like he has turned me away.
I can not  remember a time when my Grandmother called my name that I didn't turn to see what she was saying. She ususally asked me to come be close by her, so she didn't raise her voice.  I think back and I remember all of the cousins running to know what she had to say to us. Whether, instruction or request for duty or reprimand, she said it in the same tone of voice every time we came near.  I can compare my Grandmother to what I think about God, because my Grandmother is the person who most exemplified God to me. She often spoke of him to me, and she is the person whom I think of who allowed his Spirit to act through her, more than any one else I've known.

I wish I could have been more like her for my children's sakes. And for my grandchildren's sakes.
So today I just pray, thank you Father for these two people in my life. One I have only memories of, and one who is persistent in remaining my friend.  Allow me to learn from them, and reinforce the action when I remember to be more like them.  And thank you that when I come to you, lonely, that you are always there. I love you Lord, AMEN

No comments: