Thursday, October 18, 2012

As the sun peeped through the trees at daybreak, the only day this week that the fog or rain didn't block it's view, it was shining up at an angle from the horizon to under the leaf canopy of the newly turning fall colors.  It had the effect of makin them glow.  They were so lovely, that I could not help but think of that old harvest song, PRAISE GOD FROM WHOM ALL BLESSINGS FLOW. We sang it every year at school as we neared Thanksgiving every year.  I imagine that now, children don't even know from whom their blessings flow.  I regret that for my grandson's who will not have that to recall one day when they are feeling blessed.  How do we convey those kinds of things without the marvelous old songs, or the Psalms we quoted.  Our teachers were allowed to teach us that being thankful to a God our ancestors served was a part of their history.  To me it is difficult to even explain the holiday without God in it. It makes no sense at all, for even the Indians were offering Thanks to the Great Spirit, as they called the God whom they served. I was taught that the Indians also knew that the offerings of the land and gardens, had a source worthy of being praised.
This year I intend to give more diligence to praise.  I have a lot to be thankful for this season, and God is worthy of my praise.  I sometimes wonder why something so lovely as praising God ever became a stange thing in the eyes of God's people.  In some communities, it isn't true, but in many it is, and I for one, believe it should be a regular as sunrise, to find something worthy of praising God for.  Even if it is as simple as the morning sun turning the shimmering leaves into gold. 

I praise you Lord. And give thanks.  AMEN

No comments: