Friday, January 4, 2013

Jimmy and I are getting underway finding our places in our future of retirement.  We are on limited income, and my retirement income is over a half a year away.  His disability income is constantly in flux, appearantly dependent upon whether he gets "better" or not.  We want him to get better, but haven't figured out exactly how to live without the income.  We are going back to our youth of doing without anything that isn't food or a place to live.  We were spending amazing amounts on medications, but thankfully is able to take advantage of his VA benefits. To that we add a little gas money to spend time birding, which is a basically free hobby except for the gas to travel around. Jimmy has an agenda that he pursues that is so different than mine but I am just letting him pursue it, as much as I can without being shut out from a few things that I love to do as well.  We are still struggling with making our diets mesh, and getting our sleeping patterns in line.  He is doing all he can to go to bed at a certain time, but he often tosses and turns after years of working nights.  I am off my sleeping schedule because my interrupted sleep has sort of drawn me into his old pattern and I fall asleep in the middle of the day.  If I fight it through, I tend to fall asleep late, and like a baby who has a nap too late in the day...I am up till all hours. 
We each have things we like to pursue, so while I blog and draw, or mess with pictures and graphics, he researches his ancestry and everything to do with coins.  He's very knowlegable about both. He likes e-mail, I like messaging on facebook. He loves talking on the phone, I like texting. In a lot of ways we complement one another because we are opposites.  It helps with the phone bill that he uses the minutes and I use the texts and pics.  But when it comes to food...not so good.  We eat the opposite foods too.  In order to stay healthy I need a severely reduced carb count, and he is a white carb-aholic and it never seems to affect his A-1c tests.  Well to a point. His was up since he retired, and it is because he is home cooking more rice and biscuits, his favorites.  But so is mine..up.  And I would prefer not to eat the rice and biscuits.. I could do without them both completely.  I occasionally would allow myself some pizza, now we are eating carbs at about 4 times the rate I can tolerate them. Why? you say.  Because there is only enough money to buy one of our diets and his is cheaper.  WE can't afford mine.  I used to work, almost entirely to be able to buy my food, in order to keep from becoming a diebetic. Upon loosing my last job, I had lost the battle to fend off the diabetic lean my body was taking.  Now I am diabetic..and there's no going back.
But all things considered, I am so happy that he and I are arguing so much less than we used to. We are helping each other with the daily jobs. For the first time in our marriage we have found the niches of where we fit in our own home.  Or at least I think we have.  We each still have to do our own laundry.  He has to help me with the vacuuming, because that seems to mess with my back more than any other housecleaning chore. And he has decided he likes cleaning the kitchen.  Not so different from before except, he would come home from work in the night  cook him something to eat while I slept, and in order not to wake me, would leave the dishes.  So I would go to sleep with a clean kitchen and wake to a messy one.  It wasn't a source of contention, just difficult to resolve, because if I got up and tried to clean the kitchen, I woke him. 
I look forward to getting even better at being a retired couple, but one thing I am finding.  We seem more like the couple I knew we were before he went to Vietnam 40+ years ago.  We talk more, like friends, and like a couple about intimate subjects that we have avoided for years because we always fought.  We seem to be open to one another's points of view.  I find I want to please him more, and he seems to want to please me more.  Our conversation is developing to a point of listening as much as talking.  I am learning how much his hearing loss is affecting his attitude about being confused. And I am seeing how much my tendency to pass out after eating carbs is making a routine dificult to establish.
In the future we need to be hungry at the same time, sleep at the same time, and continue to be opposites in just about everything else. LOL
I am looking to Jesus for everything we need.  I praise him for his generous supply so far.  Not enough to do what we want maybe, but enough to be warm and happy.  That will do.

Continue Lord to bless my husband, and help me to grow in areas where our relationship needs change.  In Jesus Name, AMEN

No comments: