Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Gifts from God

The sweetest gifts that we receive to me are the ones someone gives in response to God's bidding.  Sometimes people don't even know when they have given a gift from God, they just do something nice. But God knows our hearts desires, and he often uses people to give those desires to us as gifts.
Two such gifts stand out in my mind this year, and they are the kind of thing, no one else would rejoice over, but they are just more proof to me that a real and loving God exists.
When I began to paint again, I started using some art paper that was stored in a closet. I did a couple of pieces with pastels and they were stacked together.  I wisely placed tissue between them, but when I handled them without the tissue, I got finger prints on one of my unfinished paintings.  Glad that I could paint over the flaws, I still began to wish I could get plastic sleeves for my work like I see covering things at festival markets and art sales.  But I would have to buy a whole case and that seemed frivilous.  So I kept an eye out for items that came into my home with plastic wrapping and began to put it between or over just a few pieces of my work.  I quietly just longed for the real thing.
Then one day, my husband came in with a box of what he was afraid I might call junk. He hesitantly asked if I could use the contents, or should he just throw it away.  I complain about some of the stuff he brings in, for I fear we could become hoarders if we took in everything he could bring. But I checked out the box contents and it was plastic sleeves normally used for something else, yet were the perfect size for my art paper! My husband didn't know I wanted them, but he brought them home to see.  God arranged that if someone else didn't need them, they could belong to me, in answer to the desire of my heart. To me it was like a gift from God, because he was the only one who knew how much I wanted, needed them to protect my work.
My Christmas present from Jesus this year, is a roll of brown paper.  I have looked lately for brown paper in a roll in a couple of big box stores, and had resolved almost to break down and buy white butcher paper instead. And I still may for other projects. But the art that has been rolling around in my head is on brown paper.  There is just something about the natural look of some things done on brown paper.  I haven't been able to find it, and like so many other things, I don't mention it to my family.  So once again it was just a silly wish tucked in the confines of my heart.  I feel guilty when I want more art supplies, because I actually have been blessed with a number of things, I just don't have time to use. But, I have jotted notes and stored them about things I would like to do with brown paper for years.  It is a perfect medium for kids, and has and interesting look when printed on.  It accepts stencil art well, and it sturdy and useful when complete.  It isn't just something to hang on a wall and look at. Brown paper art can be used. 
When my husband walked in the door a few days ago with a nice almost full roll of heavy weight brown paper that someone had tossed, I almost fell over. I felt of it, and it wasn't slick like some rolls of paper. It had a unique texture. When I told Jimmy I had been looking for paper like that, he gave me the oddest look. But in my heart I was jumping for joy! Once again, Jesus saw fit to give me the desires of my heart for Christmas.  Such a silly thing to someone else means the world to me.  Not because it is a thing...but because Jesus was the only one who knew I wanted it. And he gave it to me...and twice he used my husband as the one I can praise for listening to the voice of God, and giving of himself to bring it.

Thank you, Lord for my gifts and for using my husband to bring them. Merry Christmas Jesus!

No comments: