Friday, June 3, 2011

Pilgrim Saints

As I have said before, I love cemeteries.  It isn’t macabre, its interesting because I am a genealogist, researcher.  But I have always loved the architectural nature of the stones, and the testimonies of the saints on them.  Upon finding their stones, and then looking up more history, I am amazed how often I find preachers and ministers among my ancestors. But it is the simplest poem sometimes that leaves the most profound testimony of the person.  An example would be Nannie Tucker, of the mid century 1800s. She lived in south Georgia and her stone has this message:

NOT LOST BLEST THOUGHT,
BUT GONE BEFORE,
WHERE WE SHALL MEET
TO PART NO MORE.”

Age – 42

This appears on a classic arched topped carved stone. It has however broken at the base. As time goes on, that stone will become buried in the dirt and Nannie’s testimony will be lost to those who visit those grounds.  But by recording this, I hope her testimony will live on. 

Thank you Nannie Tucker for your lovely poem.  I didn’t see it on other stones in the area, so you  or someone in your family chose it especially for you.  It is a blessed thing -  your message.  And I hope to meet you some day, when I too have “gone before.”

Lord, thank you for the assurance we have of a spiritual realm to enter in, where we have a hope of a future where we shall never part.  Thank you for pilgrim saints who were pilgrims on this earth and left us their testimonies in stone.

St. John 14: 2 - 4
In my Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so I would have told you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.

For translations of this scripture other than the King James Version, check out Bible Gateway on the side bar.  Feel free to comment on the version you like best! And please share Nannie's testimony with someone today.

Cynthia...

No comments: