Friday, November 11, 2011

Thankful for the Leaves in Fall


This morning the leaves from the trees are falling like flakes of snow, softly making shadows through every window in the house. Since I was a child, one of the things that made me feel God was present most was the constantcy of the seasons.  When the leaves fell, and the cold came I wondered why God made winter. I was much older of course when I understood the parallels between the season of rest, and how God allows the plants to die back to their roots or bare branches, so that in the spring there may be renewal and fresh growth. Just as Jesus died and was buried, and resurrected so that the church might have life and flourish, each Fall the seasons begin the cycle over again.  Many people think of Spring as the "beginning" of the seasons, but I think of fall. It is the time to me when things begin the process of starting all over, with a fresh start.  I like to think of prayer in the fall, as a time when I can make a concerted effort to allow the things that have withered in my life to fall away. To seek a clean slate, allow the cold crisp winds of the spirit of God to kill back the failing efforts of my busy-ness and prepare me, give me rest, and allow me to get back to the sustenance of the roots of my Christianity.  It is this natural cylce of things that allows me to have peace with God.  There are so many ways that God tells us it's OK to let go of the things that were once the very essence of what we depended on for daily life - jobs, relationships, material things, health, all are not permanent.  They are a part of life, and add to the fullness of life, but they are disposable.  Yes even relationships can be allowed to drop away. I can't even count the times I have listened to a friend or family member who was torn apart by whether it was OK with God to walk away from a relationship that was not working. Relationships that cause pain, and are basically dying, need to be dropped like a leaf. I am not advocating leaving marriages casually, but when they don't work, and the time comes that there is no life in them, or one of the partners is not commited, God understands the need for a fresh starts.  He allows us to wipe the slate clean, cast off sin, or hinderances on our lives like the trees dropping leaves. There comes a time when it is the season to drop everything that has run its course, or is withering with age, or simply needing to go. 
The concept is visible in several of Jesus parables or picture stories...like the question that he asked about putting new wine in old wineskins. (Matthew 9, Mark 2, and Luke 5.) Or patching worn fabric with new cloth. He says that it is an absolute waste to spend the time, use the resources, or hold out hope for success in the effort.  He says to allow God to supply new jugs, new clothes, new beginnings.  The number 8 is about new beginnings. The eighth month of the year is August. Immediately following are the Cleansing months. Fall and Winter reflect the times in our lives that we slowly recognize that is time to let things go, and one by one we can let things fall away. Then there is a time of adjustment, that parallels with winter, while we rest and regroup.  It takes time after life's hard spots to let go, and then it takes time to process what has happened, before we are ready for the warm winds of Spring. 
The seasons of life are often seen as birth, youth, adult productivity, and old age. I like to see the seasons in smaller units.  I like having a few more points in time where it's OK to start with a new clean future. Fortunately, God allows that it can be everyday, if we need.  But the great joy is that God allows, encourages, plans for and expects us to have seasons in our lives.  He understands that sometimes on a regular basis, the old "stuff" just needs to go.

Lord, I am so glad that the falling leaves don't fall until they have turned those gorgeous colors.  As they drop like snow this morning, the trees are looking so barren, but the ground is just beautiful!  Your message to my heart seems to be that although some things in my life seem too beautiful to be ready to be separated from...precious friends and family who are dying or have died...but they are passing into a beautiful beginning too. And there are other things too that I have some difficulties parting with, so I am trying to see the beauty in letting them go. I am trying to look into the future with hope for the spring that I can be assured will come, because you are in control.  You want us to have joy even in the seasons of letting go. To have assurance that there is beauty in everything, including loss.  Help me and those who may need this truth today to count it all joy.  Even as the falling leaves bring me joy, make me smile and think of you, help me to see the falling away of the fading leaves of my life as beautiful, and may they always make me think of you as a loving God who allows the load we carry just drop away.  Love you - Father, Son and Spirit- all, AMEN

No comments: